WHAT ARE DENTURES?
Dentures are removable dental devices that are used to replace missing teeth and tissues. They are the artificial teeth that give normal functioning to the human mouth.
TYPES OF DENTURES
These are generally made of porcelain and acrylic resin.
Porcelain dentures look more natural and pair easily with the remaining teeth.
When it comes to Acrylic resin dentures, they are light in weight and easily adjustable. They fit properly and make the jaw movement smoother.
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE INVOLVED IN PLACING DENTURES?
The impressions of your jaw should be analyzed to see how well they relate to one another and whether they have spaces in between them.
A wax model is then prepared to check the fitting.
Final Denture is made using the wax model
The patient can try the final set of dentures and if there is any requirement, adjustments will be made.
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THE DENTURES?
It is extremely important to handle them with care since Dentures are artificial and detachable.
Keep Your Dentures Clean
Keep your Dentures clean always. You need to brush your dentures with a non-abrasive brush at one time per day.
Soak your dentures at night in water or in the denture solution as prescribed by your dentist. This will enable your dentures not to get weaken.
Keep A Look At Your Dentures
Stay alter of your dentures from time to time and visit your dentist if your dentures loosen, slip or you feel like there has been a change in the bite. Having ill-fitting dentures can cause infections and irritations.
DO’S AND DON’TS WHILE DENTURES ON
- Soak your dentures overnight in water or solution recommended by your dentist
- Rinse your dentures again before putting them on in the morning
- Brush daily with soft bristles with toothpaste as prescribed by your dentist
- Take care of your mouth, gums, and tongue
- Avoid biting hard food with front Dentures
- Do not be so hard while brushing
- Avoid using a toothpick or pointed objects on Dentures
- Do not drop them as they are delicate and may break if you do so
- If they loosen, visit a dentist without trying to fix it.
MYTHS ABOUT DENTURES
- Eating difficulties with Dentures – You can eat any kind of food. Initially, you might be instructed to intake a certain kind of diet but with time you will be able to eat whatever you wish but precautions are essential.
- Lifetime Solution – If not taken proper care, the dentures may not last as you expect. Also, over a period they may start to wear down, loosen their natural appearance and chewing ability.
- People might know if someone is wearing Dentures – In the early days it. But nowadays, the material used to make dentures is such that nobody could even guess that you are wearing dentures. But if they are coming to notice then it is advised to visit a dentist
- Do not require proper care – Dentures work exactly like your real teeth even if it is artificial, therefore, it is vital to take care of dentures the way you take care of your natural teeth.
- Can be repaired by self – A person should never try that. If you feel that your dentures are no longer fitting the way required, do not try to get them fixed on your own as this may further damage your dentures.
- No further visits to the Dentist – Your oral health does not include only your teeth but also your gums, tongue, and tissues. Regular visits to the dentist will make sure everything is being taken care of. Also, your dentist can examine the dentures and may advise if you need to change them.